Tuesday, August 28, 2007

14 Deals with a shearer

Johnny and Rosie had been really wonderful to us so when dropped in next morning I wanted to pay them back generously without being excessive. I had decided to give them twice what they asked me for. How much do I owe you I asked? Whatever you think it’s worth said Johnny. I jumped back mentally to our year in India. Then you never knew the going rate and the hope was you would offer a very large amount based on costs in your own country. The other party would then look very hurt and claim the going rate was twice that. The final agreed amount would be somewhere between your original offer and their claim. You were ripped off.

I had found out that the going rate was $1.60 per sheep. Doubling would make it $3.20 and the full sum for the day would be about $100. I asked if that was OK or should it be more or less. He looked hurt but said it was OK. I’ll drop you off a case of VB next time I’m passing, I said, and a bottle of scotch for Rosie. He looked slightly brighter. Total sum $120 and the cheque was written.

I thought we had finished but he said he had a few things for sale and was I interested? There was a fold-up wire spinner, just what I needed for the fence mending around the Mountain Paddock, a couple of heavy duty chains one of which was clearly from an old bullock cart and the shearing gear. I took the spinner and chains for $40. I later discovered that the spinner was from my property, given to Johnny by Torsten as part of a job lot during his clear out. It really was back to India, but I was pleased.

No comments:


Hanging Valley