Monday, August 20, 2007

6 Ordering 30 merino wethers






I had to get serious about sheep to fulfil the Tax requirements. My work colleague Murray, a farmer himself by upbringing over near Ardlethan, told me I couldn’t go past Merino wethers, boys that would never grow into rams. Get a certain-number-of-teeth wethers. I wrote that number down. They will give you a good wool clip for about 5 years and you’ll be way ahead. Ewes can be a pain.

Following the advice I fronted up at the Stock and Station Agents in Bombala. I asked for what Murray had told me, about 30 fine-wool merino wethers. I had memorised it beforehand from the piece of paper. Where’s your property, what’s it called, how long you had merinos, how many microns, who’s your shearer? I admitted to not being a farmer but that I was very excited about getting my first flock of sheep and I was totally in their hands. No worries the agent said, I’ll drop them off in the next couple of weeks. I gave the instructions to leave them in the River Paddock. No price was discussed, he would look after me. She looked worried.

1 comment:

Jane said...

more photos! i mean, more photos, please.


Hanging Valley