Tuesday, August 28, 2007

23 A balancing act



I had been thinking about how to get the steel beams across the back creek during the week. I was able to multi-task so work didn’t suffer. The mind pictures depended on the tractor as even the whole Creewah RFB wouldn’t have been able to lift the beams manually. I would line up a beam with the centres of its two prospective supports and place the tractor on the other side of the creek again exactly in line but up a hill. Then I would pull the beam rapidly across the creek canyon. The various chains would link the leading edge of the beam and the tractor hoist, the latter giving extra height.


The picture included the beam falling into the water as well as digging into a permanent grave half way up the bank. This nightmare would be avoided by having planks leaning against the receiving pillar on the creek side. If the leading edge of the beam did fall into the creek, it might just ride up the planks as the tractor proceeded.


It was all set up. I was scared because there would be no second chance. I started with the easy beam. It didn’t need me to dodge the tractor through trees. It slid nicely on the first support and edged over the chasm, the tractor front wheels lifted as the beam crossed half way and started to drop but it then hit the planks and rode up onto the second support. I panicked and stopped to go back and investigate. Another 30 cm and I was there. I could centre it later using the crowbar.


The second beam worked well too. Everything was finished apart from a bit of welding and appropriate dancing and drinking. The latter was a D’Arenberg Shiraz with more power than the tractor. Pity she didn’t drink. Despite that we sat on a beam together with our feet dangling over the water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.


Hanging Valley